Saturday, August 02, 2008

Today was Emma's last day of babyhood, tomorrow we'll have two toddlers. When I think back to this time last year, experiencing early labour, wondering how on earth I'd continue to meet Mikey's needs while meeting those of our new baby, I feel so blessed. Emma's first year has been hard work, yet worth every bit of it. She's such a sunny little person, in fact some days as I watch them play I wonder if we have the happiest kids in the world.

As I type this I can hear her stirring through the baby monitor, letting me know that soon she'll want another breastfeed, perhaps letting me know that she too isn't quite ready to let go of her babyhood. As I cuddle her tight tonight all I can do is hope that my hold conveys my confidence to her - the amazing toddler years are ahead and bringing her through them to be happy, confident and independent, as her big brother is, will be our shared goal.

So I'm off to wrap presents, to reflect on past and future, and on how blessed we are that a year ago today our little Emma-Bear entered our lives.

No comments: